Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Apple Crumble Pie


Apple Crumble Pie 


I wanted to make a apple pie, but I already had a pre-made graham cracker crust that I wanted to use. So I combined the two ideas. It has the filling of a apple pie and the topping of a apple crumble. My neighbors invited me over for dinner, since I'm known for always bringing them cookies when I am home, obviously I had to bring a dessert. They thought I had bought the pie and brought it over. I think that means it was a job well done. 


The filling is fairly simple to make with no pre-baking of the apples required. You mix the few ingredients together then pour it into a hot pre-baked pie shell. 


Next the crumble goes on top. After distributing the crumble, I added extra cinnamon to the top.


After a quick trip to the oven it will come our golden brown and smelling delicious. This pie stays together really well. It is easy to cut and holds its shape when you cut into it, unlike some apple pie recipes. We served it warm with a scoop of ice cream. 





Ingredients:

3 chopped apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 9 inch Graham cracker crust (prebaked)

Toppings: 
3/4 C flour
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C butter
1 tsp cinnamon 

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Bake graham cracker crust for 15 minutes. 
2. Combine the chopped apples, lemon juice, sugars, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. This will form a sauce around the apples. 
3. Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust. 
4. Make the crumble. Take the 1/4 C butter and cut it into cubes. Add in the flour and the sugars. Stir the ingredients together (using your hands if necessary) until the mixture resembles crumbs that will stick together. 
5. Spoon the crumble over the apples until all of the apple mixture is covered. Next sprinkle the cinnamon on the crumble. 
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown. 
7. Let cool, cut, and enjoy! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment