Monday, July 8, 2013

Mocha Cookies



Mocha Cookies 


Coffee and chocolate, the magically mixture. Personally, I hate coffee. The only drink I can stand with coffee in it is Starbucks mochas, but I don't even know if that counts as real coffee. I've been trying to branch out lately and force myself to try other coffee drinks. The mocha cookie recipe was inspired by the recipe in the Mrs. Fields cookie book. However it needed some adjustments. 


Normally you would use instant coffee in these types of recipes, however we didn't have any. So we used mocha mix instead. It seemed to have the same effect. 


The Mrs. Fields version also called for less coffee granules and coffee liqueur. Of course I wanted to use more. That way it would have more of a mocha kick to it. The first time we made these was for my friends birthday. That adjustments we made then provided a good cookie, but the second time we made them I added in even more mix and liqueur. 


These cookies were soft and thick. Oh and did I mention chocolatey? I used dark chocolate chunks in the recipe instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I would recommend the dark chocolate chunks. 


If you bite into one of these cookies right when they come out of the oven, you get a mixture of coffee and warm melted dark chocolate. Best bite ever. 



Ingredients:

1/2 C butter (softened)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons mocha mix ( or 3 tsp instant coffee granules) 
2 tablespoons coffee liqueur ( if using instant coffee use 2 tsp)
1 1/2 C flour
1/4 C cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 C chocolate chunks 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a baking sheet. 
1. In a small bowl dissolve the mocha or coffee granules in the coffee liqueur 
2. In another bowl mix together the softened butter and the sugars. 
3. Add in the egg and the mocha mixture. 
4. Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined
5. Fold in the chocolate chunks
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, let cool on a wire rack 




0 comments:

Post a Comment