Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Almond Joy Cookies



 Almond Joy Cookies



Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't. 

More of all the time I feel like eating a cookie. 


These are almond joys in cookie form. Warning: they are amazing. Amazing as in people who hate coconut love these cookies. They are that good. Since they look like normal chocolate chip cookies, my friends took one not expecting it to have as many flavors as it does. These cookies are full of coconut, chocolate, vanilla extract, and almond extract. 


Some of the comments I have received have ranged from, "oh my god these are so good, they're like soft but crunchy and oh my god." to "I normally hate coconut, but these are good. Like really good."


The coconut adds a unique texture to these cookies. I had to give them away as quick as I could because I couldn't stop eating them. 


They spread a little in the oven, but bake so they are nice and puffy. I would recommend spacing the dough a little more then 2 inches apart. 


Since this recipe makes a lot of cookies, I varied when I took them out of the oven. With some batches I waited a little longer and they were a perfect golden brown when I took them out, others I took out when only the edges were brown. 

Either way, all of the cookies turned out great. I found 13minutes exactly in my oven to be the ideal baking time. The cookies were just under baked but continued to bake as they cooled on the cookie sheet. 

I love how you can see the coconut flakes peeking out. Even though they are loaded with coconut, it's still not a overbearing flavor. The almond and vanilla extract counter it nicely. 



 I went around to my friends houses with a bag of these. They seemed to like them. Noted by the amount of people who took multiple cookies.




Ingredients:

2 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C butter
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 C shredded coconut
2 C chocolate chips
1 1/2 C chopped almonds (optional, not included in the photographed batch)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
1. Cream the butter and sugars together
2. Beat in the eggs, almond extract, and vanilla extract.
3. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the wet ingredients.
4. Fold in the shredded coconut
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using)
6. Bake for 13 minutes, or until cookies are slightly browned
Makes 54 cookies

0 comments:

Post a Comment