Sunday, May 12, 2013

Chocolate Cinnamon S'mores Cupcakes


Chocolate Cinnamon S'mores Cupcakes


All the fun of a s'mores wrapped up in a cupcake. The base is a chocolate cinnamon batter, topped with a marshmallow frosting and sprinkled with graham crackers.


The idea for these came when I was sitting in the kitchen with two of my friends. One of them, Caila, really wanted to bake something that night. After going through a list of about a million possibilities, we decided on these. 


The process of making these started at her house. Half of the ingredients were there, while the other half was at my house. I put all of the necessary dry ingredients in a plastic bag to bring to my house. I'm not sure what inspired me to put cinnamon in the batter but for some reason I was compelled it. Im glad I did. I almost want to call these random cupcakes, because the process of baking them was very, well, random. 



To really get the graham cracker taste, we put graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of the cupcake liners and on top of the batter before baking. They were pretty enough at this point to just dig in, but you can't forget the frosting!
  
                                      


At first we weren't sure how to go about making the frosting. This isn't one of those light airy frostings because it is supposed to resemble a melted marshmallow. So of course the base of the frosting is melted marshmallows. 

Im not usually a cupcake kind of girl. If I'm craving sweets I'd rather grab a cookie or brownie instead. However the added cinnamon in the chocolate cupcake really makes these good. At first I was only going to eat half of one... but it was so good I couldn't stop. 



Here is Caila enjoying the creation..

Since there was a bunch of people at the house hovering around like vultures, we shared with them. 







I think they liked them.

Recipe:

Cupcakes:

1 1/4 C flour 
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C water
1/4 C oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg 
1 package graham crackers or graham cracker crumbs

Frosting:

2 C powdered sugar
1 C marshmallows
4-5 tablespoons milk
1/4 C butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake sheet with cupcake liners. 
1. Mix all of the cupcakes ingredients together in a bowl except for the graham crackers 
2. Place the graham cracker crumbs at the bottom of the cupcake liners then fill them 1/2-3/4 of the wall full. Add more crumbs to the top of the batter
3. Bake for 20 min. 
5. Prepare the frosting. Microwave the butter and the marshmallows together until melted. Watch carefully so the marshmallows do not explode.
6. Add in the vanilla extract
7. Gradually add in the powdered sugar until the frosting is at the desired consistency. If it gets to thick add milk, too thin add more powdered sugar. 
8. Once the cupcakes are cool, frost and sprinkle more graham cracker crumbs on top to garnish. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment